I’ve been making this French toast casserole for pretty much every holiday and birthday breakfast for years (along with an egg casserole that I’ll be posting soon too!). Its convenient because you prepare it the night before, and my kids love it.
I’m lucky enough to be able to get my hands on homemade sourdough challah bread, which is amazing in this recipe. Use whatever type of bread works for you.
- 1 loaf bread - (sourdough, French, challah, gluten-free, etc.)
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup (for cream cheese)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (for egg mixture)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 8 eggs
- 2 and 1/2 cups milk of choice, whole milk, half and half, or combo
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 TB organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: fresh fruit, fruit compote, or maple syrup for topping
1. Grease 9x13 pan
2. Cut the bread into cubes. Spread half of the cubes into the prepared pan.
3. Beat the room temperature cream cheese until completely smooth. Add the 2 TB maple syrup and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract until combined. Drop random spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture on top of the bread.
4. Layer the remaining bread cubes on top of cream cheese. Set aside.
5. Whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, maple syrup, and remaining vanilla together. Pour over the bread. Cover the pan and refrigerate overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350°F
Bake covered for about 30 minutes.
7. While baking, combine topping ingredients - softened butter, cinnamon, and sugar.
8. Remove dish from oven and rub the topping mixture all over the top of the casserole. Return to oven and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes.