Let me start by saying that our family does not follow a strict Paleo diet, but there are grains and dairy that we avoid. And, regardless of whether or not you have adopted a Paleo lifestyle, this enchilada casserole is delicious! The first thing to do in advance is to make the "salsa chicken." Salsa chicken is a go-to in our house because it's the easiest meal in the world, and you can throw it in tacos, on salads, on sweet potatoes, etc...or in this case, in enchiladas.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (I use thighs)
- 1 16 ounce jar of your favorite organic salsa
- 3-4 TB (or 1 packet) of your favorite taco seasoning
Throw those ingredients in your crockpot and cook on low for about 6 hours, then shred.
Paleo Enchilada Casserole
- 2 pound Salsa Chicken (see above for recipe)
- 1 package grain-free Siete Foods tortillas (can be found at Whole Foods and other health food stores)
- 3-4 organic bell peppers
- 1 bottle Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Chop bell peppers. Begin layering ingredients in 9x13 glass baking dish.
Bottom layer: first place 3 tortillas at the bottom of the pan, followed by 1/3 of the chicken, followed by 1/3 of the bottle of ranch dressing, followed by 1/3 of the chopped bell peppers.
Middle layer: 2 tortillas, 1/3 chicken mixture, 1/3 bottle of dressing, 1/3 bell peppers.
Top layer: 3 tortillas, 1/3 chicken mixture, 1/3 bottle of dressing, 1/3 bell peppers.
Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.